Pages

Monday, September 19, 2005

Birthday Shmirthday

"Man, I need to post more stuff," I says to myself I says. I've been pretty busy just trying to make new artwork and also been busy just trying to live life. I made this illustration for my friend Gabe Swarr for his birthday last week. He's a huge Mario fan, along with most other video games, so I thought I'd take a crack at it. I've never really done any digital illustrations, so this was a first. I made all the artwork in Flash working off of the drawing I did, then I did all the textures in Photoshop. I really like how it turned out, especially the characters. And it all started with the drawing, which came almost out of nowhere. I was sketching different Marios when I thought to myself, I'll probably like drawing Luigi better, taking in Gabe's philosophy the you like drawing your own body-type. And then Boom! This drawing came out of nowhere, first-time, no erasies. I was amazed.
I posted a detail of Luigi's face just because I like it so. And when I showed people the illustration on paper, they always turned it around to look at him. So here it is for your convenience. I don't want you straining your back, flipping your monitor over. Oh yeah, you're probably wondering what Luigi's saying. I did it by hand afterwards, so that's why it's missing. It's not anything profound of funny even. Mario's depressed, so Luigi's trying to console him by saying, "C'mon, you're not old, you're CLASSIC!!!"

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's the best drawing ever!

Sean Szeles said...

Thanks! Somehow I always know who you are, mystery man with the ever-changing names...

SteveLambe said...

Dem is some fun Marios. Kick-ass stuff, Sean!

Matt Jones said...

Hey, just found your blog off CARTOON BREW - your style is fun, really like the way you're drawing & painting. Keep it up -

Sean Szeles said...

Thanks everyone, you all are awesome as well!

Tony Mora said...

Me likeys.

Jay D Smith said...

i like it!!

fantastic stuff!!

Jeaux Janovsky said...

i have to chime in with an equal to everyone else's BAD ASS!!! Sean. You continue to rock my friend!
yr pal,
Jeaux

milanrubio said...

I like it! fantastic use of the color, love the details, the feeling, and the characters pose.
Very funny mario illo.
Nce work!